Friday, January 11, 2013

Chef Emil's Bean & Sausage Casserole

There is not a lot of info on the mysterious Chef Emil, but according to his blog, he is a member of the "Cooking Connection Team at the Boerne HEB Plus!" and that is all you really need to know because saying you are with HEB says it all here in central Texas.

For those of you not in the know, HEB is probably one of the best all-'round grocery stores with everyday low-low prices.  :-)  They also own Central Market, a fierce Whole Foods competitor.  In a nutshell, HEB truly caters to local tastes and needs, and is on the mark when it comes to being in communication with their customers.  Their employees make a real difference by not only maintaining that happy face you want to see behind the counter, but by actually knowing their stuff and not hesitating to help their team mates?  For example, that lady passing out coffee samples can tell you exactly where to find that tapenade--and so can the cashier and the person at the meat market.  They know everything there is to know about their store.

On top of that, HEB works hard to promote its own brand as well as those of their vendors by offering coupons and specials coupled with ideas of what to do with all these products.  Their social media is off the charts, too.  Just check out their Twitter feed.

You know, I could be gushing about any solid company, but there's something so much more than that with HEB.  This is a company that is so integrated with family life here in Texas, that I would be hard pressed to say anything negative.

Anyway, in an effort to promote its brand, as I stated, HEB has test kitchens and will also listen to your feedback, too.

I am one of those people who is addicted to hitting SUBSCRIBE, especially when food/recipes is involved.  You would be quite amazed to see my blog reader--and, yes, I actually read many blogs on a daily basis!  (What is wrong with me?!) 

When I came across Chef Emil's blog, I became an instant fan and have enjoyed all of his (their?) updates.  The recipes aren't all fancy-fancy gourmet stuff, but EASY, AFFORDABLE, and stuff I would actually EAT.

And, when I say "easy," I mean RIDONKULOUSLY easy.  Like...if it was any more easy, then you'd just be downright lazy.  That easy.

The other night, we made Chef Emil's Bean & Sausage Casserole.  Click HERE for the direct link.  And, here are a few pics I snapped.  (For you unfortunate HEB-less souls, just sub HEB products with your favorite products.  If you can't find a marionberry/jalapeno sauce, and you feel a little adventurous, try this recipe for Dyna's Marionberry-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce.)

If there is one thing I would change about this recipe:  double up on the sausage and just use 1/2 a bottle of the Green Valley sauce.  I also chopped my own onion, saving an extra $1 or two.

In total, the meal was about $25, the most expensive ingredient being that sauce.  It is spicy/sweet, and brings out the sweet side of the pork.

Also, the tapenade is not kept with the other canned and jarred tomato products.  (grr!)  I eventually found it in the aisle marked "gourmet," "international."  You can also try checking near the olives where they keep olive tapenade.








1 comment:

  1. WOW....what wonderful words! I am the mysterious Chef Emil and am the Cooking Connection Manager at the HEB Plus! in Boerne, Texas. Chef-Emil.com was developed to help my customers find recipes without having to come to the store and sort through stacks of recipe cards....never did I think others would wander upon it. Now I have shipped products to Canada and around the U.S. to people wanting to try the recipes! I have a travel and tidbits blog called www.The-Tin-Man.com in case you might be interested....lots of food related stuff there too, from around the world, as I travel. Thank you again for your very kind words! Chef Emil

    ReplyDelete